“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.”– Albert Einstein
Hello, you beautiful people!
It’s been a while, yes? There are a lot of reasons for my string of absences and I am happy to fill you in, but it’s going to take a while.
To give you a brief summary of how life has been going, here’s a recap of everything that’s gone on since last summer. Hey, I said it’s been a while, right?
July, 2018: My mom got married to an amazing man who I am proud to call my dad. Sometimes, I think he may not be as sure as we are that we aren’t COMPLETELY ready for the looney bin, but he seems to be adapting from being a bachelor to being a dad and grandpa without much struggle. Did I mention he’s awesome?
October, 2018: My sister (known by many of you as my Swan – if you haven’t seen Billy Madison, the reference will be lost on you) had her first bundle of joy. I love him more than I love my own children sometimes. Mostly because he can’t talk back yet, but also because he’s an absolutely adorable cherub of a little dude that I can’t get enough of. He was born with only one functioning kidney, but the one that works has had no problem with giving us all golden showers every time we change his diaper. My sister’s vagina, on the other hand, is still recovering. I’ve got to be honest. I’m glad I had my babies first before I saw the horror movie trauma that happens to your lady garden when a child busts his or her way out of there. People who say childbirth is easy clearly have never done it without an epidural and a stage III-IV perineal tear. My swan is a straight up gangsta bad ass.
November, 2018: Not much happened, except I turned a year older.
December, 2018: We had the biggest old, hap, hap, happiest family Christmas we’ve had in years. Honestly, there were no errant squirrel thefts, we spent a weekend in NoLa, a week in Baton Rouge, and not one single person threw a punch. I’m calling it a win.
January, 2019: The husband and I signed a contract to build a new house. We literally can’t even in our current house anymore. Aside from drama llama ding dongs that surround our current abode, we are running out of room because the children refuse to stop growing, our dogs refuse to stop eating, and combining two houses worth of crap after the hubs retired from the military just isn’t cutting it in a house I bought before he and I got married and before my children started stealing my clothes and shoes at the ages of 11 and 8. Total crap, by the way, because I can’t wear their stuff.
February, 2019: I spent the first part of the month in another state while one of my very best friends in the world underwent a lobectomy on her left lung because of Stage One non-small cell adenocarcinoma. The surgery went off without a hitch, until she aspirated in her good lung and had to be put into a medically induced coma so she wouldn’t die. I spent a week in the ICU with her, grilling her doctors, being her guard dog, and driving everyone in the Unit crazy with my questions. The good news, no the AMAZING NEWS, is that when her surgeon got the biopsy back from the surgery, the cancer was 100% gone! She kicked that bitch’s ass and didn’t look back.
Which brings us current.
I am revamping my website and going to start sending out updates and posting more on the website on various topics:
1. Book Projects (and maybe some excerpts for you);
2. What’s going on in the DTH household (shenanigans, projects, and maybe even some cool stuff I find on Zulily and other sites because I may have a slight shopping problem)
3. Weekly (or monthly – I’m not promising anything) updates on the home building project because let me tell you, I built one house and swore I would never build another one, yet here I am, AGAIN. Plus, I’m going to need an outlet to bitch about all of the insanely asinine rules of building a house;
4. My Favorite Things! Recipes, books, vacations, people, and whatever else I feel like liking;
5. Recipes and DIY projects. Oh yeah, I’m also working on a cookbook that is pretty epic;
6. Crowdsourcing. I’ll be occasionally asking for your help/advice/opinions on plots, characters, and other nuances of the books I’m working on; and,
7. Random things that don’t fit into any other categories.
So, stay tuned! Lots of exciting things coming your way. And if you haven’t signed up for my newsletter, go to www.scarlethayes.com and click the email sign up button on the home page!